Providers /

Steps to Licensing

CCIP logo

Obtaining a Child Care License

  • CRR provides educational activities, technical assistance, and ongoing support for individuals who are interested in becoming licensed child care providers.
  • Whether you are just beginning your journey to become a child care provider or if you have years of experience, our program focuses on group training and individual support for caregivers who are interested in providing care for infants and toddlers.
  • You will learn about the ages and stages of child development, health and safety in your home environment, how to grow and manage a successful business, and how to establish effective relationships with parents.

Benefits of participation include:

  • Free workshops
  • Assistance understanding California’s licensing requirements
  • Pre-licensing walkthrough of your home
  • Technical support and mentoring
  • Networking with other child care providers

If you believe you are ready to take the next step in your career as an early care and education professional, please contact your local Resource & Referral Specialist at (805) 925-7071.

Contact Us

To become a Family Child Care Provider, you must:

    • Be at least 18 years of age.
    • Attend a licensing orientation, and pay a fee to attend.
    • Have your fingerprints taken for a Child Abuse Index Check for yourself and anyone over the age of 18 in your home, and assistants. Everyone fingerprinted must also sign a statement that they have never been convicted of a crime other than minor traffic violations.
    • Have a current tuberculosis clearance, as well as anyone over the age of 18 in the home or present during the time that children will be in care.
    • Complete 16 hours of training in Preventative Health Practices, which include Pediatric First Aid and CPR.
    • Have a smoke detector and fire extinguisher in the home where child care takes place.
    • Submit a licensing application with all required materials.
    • Pay an annual fee to maintain a current license.
    • Have current immunizations against influenza, pertussis and measles unless you qualify for an exemption.
Contact Us
Funded by the California Department of Social Services Child Care and Development Division and through local grants.
menu-circle linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram